Thursday, December 17, 2009

More furry issues

Pepper perched for the poach on the porch
(notice all the wet footprints leading up to this moment?)
"Must reach..."
"Help!"
"I'll get YOU, my pretty!..."

If it weren't bad enough that this adorable cat that we LOVE brings in live snakes and other creatures in various modes of life as tributes of her love for us, now she has done the unthinkable. We have been happy to see a frequent dead mouse placed lovingly at the entrance to our house by Pepper. One, she is keeping anything that might want to come near the house from doing so and two, she is terrifying the neighboring forest animals with her wrath. Both equal one thing for me: No mice near me--EVER. Love that. But tonight she was unable to kill her prey in the 100 Acre Woods and then bring it to me. She must have brought it back prematurely, because she inadvertently chased the creature to my back porch. I came in the other night to find Pepper keeping vigil at the wall. Imagine my surprise to see a field mouse clinging for its life trying to escape death. I don't know HOW it hung on (several times it slipped and seemed it would plunge to its death, but it held on). I cheered Pepper on with, "Reach higher! You're not trying...Kill IT!!!" but she just wasn't able to reach it. Finally, I pushed it off the wall with a broom and Pepper happily chased it and batted it around until it met it's maker. Love that cat.

1 comment:

  1. Go Pepper! I love that you are aiding and abedding the demise of the prey... lol

    ReplyDelete