Tuesday, October 16, 2018

I wonder what he saw in me?

Things are great here.

It is finally cooled down. Its stayed pretty hot here for a while, but today was downright chilly. I even wore a jacket, and didn’t get sweaty today - which is probably the first time since march. It was low sixties and rainy. Picture proof attached!

Our investigators in both our family ward and the YSA both seem like they’re falling off the wagon. It’s sad that I won’t get to see them baptized before I leave, but Elder Heiner and his next companion will probably get to make that happen. However...

I did get some great news this week. A brother I taught in College station has made the decision to get baptized... AGAIN! After faithfully serving a full time mission in Brazil, this good brother eventually parted ways with the church. After years away, we were able to teach him and encourage him, and this morning he asked if I would be the one to baptize him next Monday so that he can once again receive full fellowship into the church. What a privilege!

Thus far on my mission, I’ve shied away from getting into the water with investigators, because it’s better for them to share that moment with one of the members (who will have the responsibility to continue fellowshipping them) rather than selfishly claim that honor for myself. In this case, however, it seems appropriate, and I’ve accepted!

I look forward to it. I love this brother, and in many ways, he reminds me of myself.

Oh! We also had a tri-mission conference. Elder Holland of the quorum of the 12 apostles, and Elders Robbins and Texeira of the 70 spoke. 

Before the meeting started, Elder Holland wanted to shake every missionary’s hand, and I made sure to stick to the statement he requested from each missionary (my name, where I was from) but as I went to release his hand and walk to greet the other authorities, Elder Holland hung on and drug me back. He looked me dead in the eyes and said thank you for coming before finally releasing me. It was interesting.

He later made a statement to the effect that, he had had an instant interview with each missionary during their handshake; and that he could tell the caliber of missionaries that we were, from what he saw in us. I wonder what he saw in me?

He was much more positive than we had been expecting. I left with my eyebrows un-singed. He shared some interesting thoughts with us.

Thank y’all for your prayers, Love y’all! Have a great week!

Elder Derek Troy


No comments:

Post a Comment