Thursday, March 18, 2010

Wrestling Banquet 2010

Missed the handshake!
Sheepishly holding his award.
Derek and the varsity team.

After many hours of blood, sweat and tears, we are done with Derek's first year of high school wrestling! He's still freestyle wrestling at tournaments, but the school year is over for him. We went to the banquet on Tuesday for all the awards, etc. We were happy to find out that Derek had won the Freshman of the Year award. He's a little embarrassed about stuff like this, but I was pleased as punch. My camera wasn't working great at first, so I missed the coach shaking his hand. I managed to get Derek to hold the trophy and smile and that's all I could get out of him.

At the end of the evening, Derek's coach announced his retirement and word soon spread that JD had been approached about the head coaching position. So, we are now seriously considering whether this will be good for our family. We've known about it for a while now, but didn't tell anyone since we didn't (and still don't) know what he's going to do about it. Derek said he'll support his dad and so I guess we'll meet with the athletic director and mull our options. JD is a fantastic coach and the high school would be lucky to get him. Just wonder if I can live without him for a few months out of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment