Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Chupacabra

Hey y'all! It's been a big week.

I got the opportunity to extend a baptismal date to Jean Paul. My first! He accepted, and we finally have some investigators truly progressing. Jean Paul has apparently had a rough past according to his mother, but you would never know it talking to him. He's as gentle as a lamb. His girlfriend and Mom are going be taught too! We're going to get a family, I'm sure of it. The Lord sure loves these people, he just WILL NOT let them get away! Haha.

I have been praying for opportunities to apply what I'm learning and know people are falling into our laps. I got to go on an exchange with the APs (assistants to the president) this week as well. I was happy to learn as much as I did - and also to see that I'm being too hard on myself! I need to rejoice in my progress, because even the APs get doors slammed on them and crazy people dragging out asinine stories.

We had a guy we knocked into this week that we just didn't know what to do with. As paul would have said 'ye are too superstitious' Haha! He just wanted to keep telling us about Chupacabra and Indian graves and how his girlfriend was possesed. She was the most normal person on the whole block, I swear. He had some glow in the dark nail polish on his porch, so I thought for sure - 'gun guy' - and sure enough, when he turns around to invite us into his house, his shirt was caught on a pistol hanging out of his waistband.

I think I've probably found five or six potential investigators so far by talking about guns. A couple guys have wanted me to check out their pistols that they were particularly fond of, and just handed them to me on their front porch to show off. Texas is weird.

I went through our 12 week this week, and was one of several people to get an IPad that's non-functional. Oh well, I'm sure it will get taken care of soon. Maybe I'll get lucky and get a Samsung like all the new missionaries?

Thanks for all your letters and Emails. I love pictures! Hopefully when the tablet situation gets figured out, I'll have more pictures to share too.

Don't forget to share the gospel!

 Elder Derek Troy



District Training.  Elder Troy is back far right.  Showing some companion love with Elder Vickers.


Classes with old MTC friends Elder Chamberlain and Elder Wiese.


Role play with President Mortensen.


Hanging out after a missionary fireside for the Texas Houston Mission.  Waiting for refreshments maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment